Tuesday, August 10, 2010

response from local officials


As I said I would, I contacted all of the elected officials in Corvallis, Albany, Linn County, Benton County and the state of Oregon regarding a ban on plastic bags in stores. A Corvallis official said that there has been some conversation about this among the city council, but they have been waiting for requests from citizens for such a proposal. So, now they have one. Hopefully, the idea that someone is waiting and hoping to hear our voices will inspire others to let them know that a plastic bag ban would be supported in Corvallis. There is a choice between a ban or a charge. I don't think a charge will do much other than make someone richer. It won't deter pollution.

Anyway, I was nervous to contact them. I'm shy, don't like confrontation, and I didn't think they would listen or want to hear from me anyway, but they did. They are waiting for people to say this is important so they can move on it. If you have any inclination to get something done about this at all, please send a brief note to your city council person (or all of the city council people) found at:http://www.ci.corvallis.or.us/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=54. It really isn't that crazy of an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment