Thursday, August 5, 2010

No Plastic Vow - Day 6


Day 6 has come and gone. It was a great day for not buying plastic. I worked from home the first half of they, so my meals were covered, then went to work for the afternoon. My husband picked me up, and we walked out to the parking lot where the Wednesday farmers' market was happening. It was great to see all the vendors out there with their compostable berry containers. Only a few people had items wrapped in plastic. One person even had some cheeses in glass jars. We bought fresh strawberries and munched them until we found a vendor selling gluten free crepes. That was awesome! We shared one with basil, tomatoes and brie. Nice.

Next, we went to the co-op with our stash of Gladware containers from home and bought peanut butter out of the grinder, white vinegar out of a spicket and fresh mozarella out of a tub. My husband was sure it was going to be expensive, because the prices per pound of each thing sounded high. We were pleasantly surprised that our trip only cost us $8. Sean said, "Wow. I guess packaging is expensive."

Outside the co-op was a girl pitching memberships to Environment Oregon. She started by asking if we wanted to help ban plastic bags in all stores and shops in Oregon. Why yes, we do! She was giving a spiel about the huge island of plastic garbage in the Pacific gyre, which I had just written about the other day. This isn't such an uncommon wavelength I'm on.

At home that evening, I used my buttermilk and a quart of regular milk with my white vinegar to make farmers' cheese, pictured above. What a fun and relaxing task that was! I used the whey to make a little bit of ricotta, which I ate with some blackberried from my backyard for breakfast this morning. I'm going to use the leftover water to water my garden. So, Day 6 was a day of transformation, hope and coming out the other side of this journey. New perspectives and ways of doing things are emerging and showing a light at the end of the tunnel. My week is complete after today, and I feel like it's just the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring me! Did you just mix the milk with the vinegar and let it sit?

    Today I bought maple syrup out of the spigot, and frozen peas and blueberries and eggs in re-used containers. I would be so happy if the co-op would go no-plastic. People would figure it out!

    ReplyDelete