Monday, May 2, 2011

No plastic revolution!


Here I am months after my week+ of total abstinence from purchasing plastic. Did it do any good? I don't know. I know a few people started using reusable shopping bags. The city still seems ambivalent about getting stores and restaurants to stop handing out plastic bags. People know I personally don't want plastic bags and packaging in my life, but did I really inform anyone about what affect it's having on their lives?

My sister just called me yesterday very upset about something she saw on the news about BPA's in most things we use and consume. That's the thing I talked about in an early blog that acts like estrogen and interrupts reproductive systems. Got something called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)? There's a good chance some BPA's were involved in setting you up for that at an early age. It's in baby formula containers, cans, bottles, recyclable containers, your car, your computer - and get this - receipts. Plastic isn't just hard to decompose - it harms our bodies, especially when we're young, vulnerable and dependent on someone else to keep us safe.

This list of what BPA's do to us goes on and on at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

No comments:

Post a Comment